ACHIEVEMENTS IN COUNSELING
Since 1972, I've been conducting individual, family,
couples and group therapy. I became a Licensed Professional Counselor
in Virginia in 1991. I served on the Board of the Virginia Counselors
Association as President of the Virginia Association for Spiritual,
Ethical and Religious Values in Counseling during its 1997-98 term.
I became a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist in 1998. I became
certified as a Diplomate in Clinical Hypnotherapy by the National
Board of Certified Clinical Hypnotherapists in May 2000. I am a
graduate of Leadership Metro Richmond (LMR) Class of 2006.
Since 1975, I've led 193 solo and group (one to 14 day) outdoor retreats called the Wilderness Vision Quest; given 186 seminars and run 192 weekend workshops and retreats on counseling issues, creativity, personal growth, professional development and spiritual renewal.
Since 1979, I've made presentations at 62 conferences, have been featured on 106 radio and TV programs, and have made 29 video training tapes.
EDUCATION AND TRAINING
- Ed.S. in Professional Counseling, The College of William and Mary, Williamsburg, VA, 1990.
- M.A. in Psychology, Sonoma State University, Rohnert Park, CA., 1978.
- B.A. in Psychology, University of Maryland, College Park, MD, 1973.
- Four years of philosophy and theology, St. Mary's University and Catholic Seminary, Baltimore, MD., 1967-70.
- 1066 hours of training in the concepts and methods of Psychosynthesis and hypnotherapy at the Canadian and California Institutes of Psychosynthesis. 700 hours of training in LSD psychotherapy and altered states of consciousness at the Maryland Psychiatric Research Center and at Esalen Institute. 524 hours of training in drug abuse and alcoholism at Epoch House. 100 hours of training in Hemispheric Synchronization at the Monroe Institute of Applied Sciences. 84 hours of training in Outdoor Survival Skills from Tom Brown. 65 hours of training to work with sex abuse perpetrators and victims. 240 hours of continuing education and training since becoming a Licensed Professional Counselor in 1991
CAPABILITIES AS A HUMAN RESOURCES CONSULTANT
I conduct training programs in: team building and staff development, group dynamics, strategic planning, conflict resolution, stress management, communication skills, managerial training, creative problem solving, assertiveness training, and organizational retreats of from one-half to three days in length.
PARTIAL LIST OF ORGANIZATIONAL CLIENTS INCLUDES:
USDA-Forest Service, USDI-Bureau of Land Management, Office of the Secretary of Navy, the Defense Mapping Agency, AT&T, IBM-Manassas, NASA, University of Idaho, D.C. Government, The Wilderness Society, American Forestry Association, State of Virginia, Restoration Builders of Virginia, Wink Fasteners, County of Henrico, Chickahominy Family Corporation.
Michael's approach to counseling and consulting blends a structured, organized model for human resource development with a creative and open personal style. His use of visualization and creative imagery leads clients toward ever deepening levels of trust and commitment. Dave Tiffin, Regional EAP Mgr, AT&T
I have greatly appreciated Michael's ability to provide relevant, productivity-enhancing training, to respond to and incorporate feedback from participants, to adapt his work to precisely fit the needs of the students in the many training programs he has offered here. Dan Gilham, Head, Employee Development Branch, Dept. of Navy, S/HCPO.
Michael uses methods of experiential learning that gets clients involved at the deepest personal levels. He has a gift for releasing that wellspring of inspiration and intuition central to the inner core of us all and is an outstanding facilitator of personal creativity and self-discovery. Beverly Oliphant, M.D., U.S. State Dept.
REFERENCES AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST